CGFD Responds To 1090 Pompton Avenue On Rooftop AC Unit Malfunction

Posted on May 9, 2013

On Monday May 5, 2013 at 8:52 am Cedar Grove Fire Fighters responded to 1090 Pompton Avenue on a activated fire alarm. Upon arrival a smoke condition was found inside the building.  The building had been safely evacuated. The smoke was caused by a rooftop AC Unit malfunction. No injuries or property damage were reported.

Cedar Grove Fire Responds To Little Falls Mutual Aid

Posted on May 13, 2013

On 5/13/13 at 10:25 a.m. Little Falls Fire Department Responded to 103 Main St.on the report of a electrical fire.  Fire began to extended to the structure.  Little Falls Firefighters arrived minutes later and doused the flames. Cedar Grove Fire Fighters back filled the Little Falls Fire Departments Great Notch Fire House.

Grilling Safety

Posted on May 14, 2013

There's nothing like outdoor grilling. It's one of the most popular ways to cook food. But, a grill placed too close to anything that can burn is a fire hazard. They can be very hot, causing burn injuries. Follow these simple tips and you will be on the way to safe grilling. (Tips provided by N.F.P.A.)

Safety Tips

  • Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
  • The grill should be placed well away from the home,deck railings and out from under the eaves and overhang branches.
  • Keep children and pets at least three feet away from grill area.
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from grills and in trays below the grill.
  • Never leave your grill unattended.
  • Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.

Charcoal Grills

  • There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
  • If you use starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
  • Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
  • There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
  • When your finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.

Propane Grills

  • Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year.
  • Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose.
  • A propane leak will release bubbles
  • If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. 
  • If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
  • If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
  • If you smell gas while you are cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
  • If the flame goes out, turn the grill off and gas off and wait at least 15 minutes before re-lighting it.

Facts

  • July is the peak month for grill fires.
  • Roughly half of the injuries involving grills are thermal burns.

Have a great summer, Grill Safely !!

Cedar Grove Fire Fighters Respond To Flash Fire

Posted on May 18, 2013

On 5-18-13 at approximately 8:40 pm Cedar Grove Fire Department responded to 36 Cedar St. on the report of a flash fire. Upon arrival the fire was out. Contractors had been in the process of refinishing the floors when the fire occured.The residence was ventilated then turned back over to the owner.

On 5-29-13 The Cedar Grove Fire Department Responded To The Scene Of A Motor Vehicle Crash At The Essex County Bike Path Trestle In The Center Of Town

Posted on May 30, 2013

The Cedar Grove Fire Department responded to the scene of a motor vehicle crash at the Essex County Bike Path Trestle in the center of town. The trestle was stuck by a large construction excavator being trailered north bound on Pompton Avenue. No injuries were reported and fire fighters cleaned up debris and a minor fluid spill from the roadway.