Police, fire and rescue personnel remained on site for more than two hours investigating the incident and surveying the home. The fire was extinguished quickly by the first crews. Afterward, it was determined that the two-alarm blaze was caused accidentally by a cigarette discarded on the rear porch of the residence, according to CEDAR GROVE Fire Chief Michael Tower.
Tower said that the residents were alerted to the flames by a neighbor and that the fire was extinguished shortly after 8 p.m. While the fire extended into the kitchen area, the rest of the home was limited to smoke and water damage. There were no injuries as a result to the fire, Tower said.